Monday, September 23, 2013

Constants; V vs. A Lab

I believe that the purpose of this lab was to use what we learned measuring Heart Rates (something that may have seen simple and familiar) and apply it to physics problems. How to analyze graphs, critique them, and how to make them for physics problems are some things that I have definitely gotten better at and/or learned though this lab. This lab also helped me distinguish between the problems I would use for constant velocity (where something is neither speeding up or slowing down but stays with the same speed and direction) and for constant acceleration (where something is either speeding up or slowing down in a constant rate... either constantly going faster or constantly going slower).

In this lab, we saw how a "marble" would react while either having constant velocity or constant acceleration. While using a metronome, we marked the place the marble rolled over at the beat with the metronome. With constant velocity, it showed us that the marble had even spaces in between the marks, where as with constant acceleration, the marks got progressively further apart. This lab is proof that constant velocity neither speeds up or slows down, and constant acceleration only speeds up or slows down at a constant rate and that there is no way for something to have both constant acceleration and constant velocity at the same time.

For constant velocity, one uses equations with "V"s (which stands for velocity) in it, such as v=d/t or variations of the like. With acceleration ("a") one commonly uses equations with "a"s in it, such as d=(1/2)a(t*t). There are many one may use, but in this lab, I found that these two were the most help. 

To support my data, I created a graph of it. This helped me for I then was able to calculate the equation of a line, as well as be able to make predictions with out having to do it myself; it was an amazing time saver. The angle of the line helped me distinguish if the data had constant velocity or if it retained a constant acceleration. 


No comments:

Post a Comment